December 11, 2013

The night I became Rapunzel

Rapunzel with long blonde hair
Technically, the blonde hair is magic

No, I do not have mile-length telescoping hair that I can hook around things and swing myself from like the Rapunzel in Disney's Tangled. Really, the only similarity is that we were both blonde. Rapunzel of the natural variety and me of the color-in-a-box kind. (I was blonde as a child and didn't want to let go!)

The box color damaged my hair, and while I kept it long, it got all tangled (hahahaha) and riddled with split ends. I saw a deal in a local magazine for a makeover at a salon and decided to take advantage of it. I wanted to dye my hair its natural color and cut it and let it grow out healthy. I'd stop dying it and have happy healthy hair for once!

That was my plan. Now, the salon took a long time and I barely made it home for my toddler's bedtime. I told her about my haircut and I wanted her to see me before she went to sleep so she'd recognize me in the morning. I didn't want to be the cause of a freakout as toddlers are notoriously freaked out by random things.

I go into the bedroom to say good night, and my little girl smiles so wide and says "You've got magic Eugene hair!" "Mommy has magic brown hair!" And she laughs and plays with my hair and keeps saying it over and over. Are you confused yet?

Rapunzel short brown hair
Who knew a shard of glass could make such a cute cut?

*Spoilers for really old movie*
In the movie Tangled, Eugene (Flynn) cuts Rapunzel's hair with a shard of mirror and it turns brown.

This stuck out to my toddler as magic, and because Eugene cuts her hair I guess short brown hair is "Eugene hair" and it's magic because it changed colors. Thus, I became Rapunzel. That was not what I predicted would happen when I went to get a haircut and dye job. I've had the haircut for a month now, and she still grabs my hair and says it. She also yells "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!" like the villain says when the hair is cut.

Makes me wish I could do it all over again. :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment