September 29, 2014

Dare to Dream, Work to Make it True

"One little spark, of inspiration, is at the start of all creation. A dream can be a dream come true, with just a spark from me and you." ~ Journey into the Imagination (Disney World)
Twelve years ago, in college, I came up with an idea... a little spark. I played with it, turned it into a full-blown story, and it took many forms. Originally I thought I could make a graphic novel, but my art skills lack the necessary sophistication, so I turned to writing.

Gabe sketching Heather

I started off in a NANOWRIMO and never finished. Then, in 2012, I was chatting with my friend Amy about books we both liked. I happened to mention my long-forgotten story, and she got very excited about it. Someone wanted to read the type of story I was writing. That little bit of encouragement pushed me to finish drafting #SCHISM.

To make this long story just a bit shorter, I began to research publishing and what it'd take to get this sucker ready to actually market. A good writer friend of mine brought me through the first phases of critique and changes, and I can't thank Jane Lebak enough for all the help she gave me. She's my mentor, my Obi-Wan Kenobi (who kills Darth Vader instead of dying, so the rest of the movie is pointless). She recently released her books in paperback, check out her blog here.

Of course, writing isn't simple. It took a lot of blood, sweat, and swear words to get my book to a publishable level. Then I had to shop it around, query agents, go to conferences and pitch sessions. I got some negative feedback about how they were seeing "too much" of my kind of story, so they wouldn't even give it a second glance. After that, I decided to submit to some small presses myself, without the agent.

MuseItUp Publishing took me on! Now, after all that work I'll see my dream come true. In Spring 2015, #SCHISM #ILLIRIN book 1 will arrive in e-bookstores everywhere.

Look, the book is celebrating!
(In case you're wondering, I'm using the hashtags to start branding the book. For successful books, marketing starts the day you sign the contract, and I intend to do everything I can. Help spread the word.)

6 comments:

  1. So stoked for you!!!!!!!!!! This is awesome. You deserve it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alexia! I can't be more thrilled to join the MuseItUp team. :-D

      Delete
  2. All tht hard work paid off finally. Congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Part of me knows the work is only starting. *rolls up shirt sleeves*

      Delete
  3. Lord Codpiece tips his hat in congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you too, you WRiTE Club winner you! Congrats again. Winners all around!

      Delete