December 15, 2014

Book Review ~ Relax, I'm a Ninja by Natalie Whipple

Back again with another book review! I had stumbled upon Natalie Whipple's work when I read Transparent, and low and behold, I needed something else to read while waiting for the orthopedist. (I tore my meniscus in Japan in 2006 and had surgery recently, LONG story.)

Anyway, back to the review.
This cover captures the feel of the book, spot on!
Relax, I'm a Ninja follows the story of Tosh Ito, your regular run-of-the-mill nerdy high schooler, who happens to be a ninja. Oh, and his father is the clan master ta boot. He works hard to maintain his cover as a D&D playing geek so no one will ever know he actually kicks major booty. Ninja also has a really engaging love story that's very believable. Tosh tries hard not to have a crush on his best friend's crush, but love wants what it wants, and the inevitable happens. The D&D play-by-play of the angry dungeon master taking it out on Tosh was priceless.

The best thing about Ninja, is that it reads just like an anime. If you're not aware based on the eclectic nature of my blog, I have a love of anime. Even my own writing has been influenced by a couple of my favorite manga authors, Yu Watase (Fushigi Yuugi) and Nobuhiro Watsuki (Rurouni Kenshin).

The story has action, a little mystery, and a main character who is so utterly teenage boy that I wanna squish him all up. If you like Asian culture, gaming, and fun, I think you'll have a great time tearing through this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment