December 5, 2014

Gotta Gush about KDrama Sometimes! ~ Heirs!





If you remember my gush-fest over Hana Yori Dango, you'd recall that I've gotten in to KDrama (or Korean Drama) as well as my usual fare of Anime, Dorama (Japanese Drama), and various SFF shows. The blurb for Heirs touted it as a fine successor to Hana Dan, so what other motivation did I need?

Well, it had some similar elements, but the show went above and beyond what I expected. I think I may have enjoyed it MORE than Hana Dan. If you know me, that's really saying a lot. What got to me was the subtle and amazing characterization throughout the show. They didn't hit you over the head with these things, but character arcs moved in beautiful ways over the course of the show. Small changes and steps forward illustrated the paths the characters were taking.

Yes, I loved the love story with the main couple, but there's plenty going on with the supporting characters to not only hold interest, but to sometimes steal the spotlight. The ever tension-filled  odd enemy/friend/respect relationship between Kim Tan and Choi Young-Do blew me away. The ending is fulfilling, and the drama really gets to you at times. Also, the inclusion of the heroine's mute mother brought another dimension to the show I haven't seen before. Not only did it clue you in to how someone may live with this affliction, but her personality was surprising and awe-inspiring  at times.

Essentially, go watch this show right now. It's on Hulu for free.

No comments:

Post a Comment